Chemical peels are highly effective, non-invasive treatments used to slow the aging process and restore skin that is blemished, wrinkled or unevenly pigmented to a clear, beautiful condition. The treatment is performed by applying chemicals to the skin in order to peel away the top layer of skin. This triggers the healing process and causes new skin cells to form, resulting in brighter, smoother and tighter skin. Most chemical peels can typically be completed in less than an hour and are repeated at intervals as recommended by our dentist to produce the best results.
There are many types of chemical peels. Some of the most common types include:
- Alphahydroxy Acid (AHA) Peels – AHA peels are mild chemical peels typically used to reduce the appearance of fine lines, smooth rough skin and produce a more even skin tone.
- Betahydroxy Acid (BHA) Peels – BHA peels are often used to treat acne-prone skin and provide a slightly deeper chemical peel with longer-lasting results. BHA peels are also considered a mild resurfacing treatment.
- Jessner’s Peel – This type of peel is a combination of several ingredients and is slightly stronger than both AHA and BHA formulas. Jessner’s peels are often used for skin that is too damaged to be treated with an AHA peel but does not require a deep treatment.
- Trichloracetic Acid (TCA) Peels – TCA peels are medium-strength chemical peels and are used to treat a variety of conditions, including sun damage, fine lines and wrinkles, and acne scarring.
- Phenol Peel – Phenol peels are designed to treat skin imperfections, deep wrinkles and precancerous growths. This formula works more deeply than most other peels and will usually require an hour or two in our office. The use of anesthesia during the procedure is also recommended.
Our dentist will work with you to determine which type of peel is best for you and will provide you with appropriate pre- and post-procedure instructions. For more information and to schedule your appointment, please contact our office today.